Call for Applications: Commonwealth Youth Human Rights and Democracy Network Coordinator (now closed)September 7th, 2016
Human rights are an integral part of the values and principles of the Commonwealth as espoused in the Commonwealth Charter. The role of young people as equal partners in development is essential for sustainable development and progress. It is for this reason that the Commonwealth has for the past 40 years invested in building networks and associations to promote young people’s participation and genuine engagement in decision and policy-making.
The Commonwealth Youth Human Rights and Democracy Network (CYHRDN) provides a platform for collaboration with young people on important national, regional and global human rights issues. It also strengthens the capacity of young people to engage with their communities, policy-makers and wider stakeholders. The network aims to achieve its advocacy and capacity-building objectives through partnerships to contribute to research, policies and programmes. Read more about CYHRDN here.
The Coordinator will work with the Commonwealth Secretariat and its partners to support the planning and programme implementation of the network. Their primary role will be to mainstream young people’s participation in thematic areas including Discrimination, Disability and Domestic Violence. The role will be for six (6) months from mid-October 2016 until mid-March 2017.
Specific duties will include:
• Increase Commonwealth youth participation in human rights policy and advocacy at the Commonwealth and United Nations level by co-ordinating and organising the participation of Commonwealth youth in national Universal Periodic Review processes;
• Support capacity-building and empowerment of Commonwealth youth to engage in human rights interventions at policy and programmatic levels by co-ordinating and co-organising a Commonwealth Youth Capacity-Building Training on Human Rights;
• Support structure and membership by updating the CYHRDN Strategic Plan and facilitating the initial steps of the network leadership team following the appointment of Steering Committee members and Regional Coordinators from across the Commonwealth;
• Improve partnership and collaboration by strengthening the network’s relationship with the Commonwealth Secretariat, Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative, Commonwealth Youth Council, and other Commonwealth accredited organisations;
• Increase visibility and outreach by promoting the network on social media and other online platforms in order to engage more Commonwealth youth in planned activities, while also increasing the network’s membership; and
• Co-ordinate CYHRDN by facilitating monthly online meetings with the Steering Committee and Regional Coordinators, and provide periodic reports on the network’s activities.
• Aged between 18 to 29 years at the time of application;
• Citizen of a Commonwealth member country;
• Have a strong commitment to the CYHRDN’s vision and mission;
• Have experience with youth-led initiatives, projects or organisations focusing on human rights and democracy;
• Belong to an active and officially registered youth-led or youth-focused organisation, community group, etc. focusing on human rights, democracy, sustainable development;
• Have a proven track record on their work, verifiable from existing references, online videos, links, reports, publications, blogs, etc; and
• Available to commit 15-20 hours/week to network activities.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a one-page CV and cover letter outlining relevant details of their experience in health, sustainable development and coordinating networks via email to firstname.lastname@example.org . The email should include in the subject line the following details: Name and Surname, Country.
Kindly note that the deadline for submitting an application is Friday September 23, 2016 at 11:59 PM BST (London Time). References (academic or professional) will be requested from shortlisted candidates. The successful candidate will receive a remuneration package.