Sixty per cent of the population of the Commonwealth is young people under the age of 30. Well managed human settlements are key drivers of climate change solutions, economic development, innovation and entrepreneurship, and sources of employment underpinned by the activities of young people, who largely still lack a seat at the decision-making table.
The creation of this network is in response to the Call to Action on Sustainable Urbanisation across the Commonwealth, launched in 2021 by the Commonwealth Sustainable Cities Initiative (a multidisciplinary partnership group of Commonwealth partners comprising the Association of Commonwealth Universities, the Commonwealth Association of Architects, the Commonwealth Association of Planners and the Commonwealth Local Government Forum) which acknowledges the importance of youth in sustainable urbanisation. The network builds on the Youth Manifesto for Sustainable Urbanism launched at CHOGM 2018, London. A unique aspect of this network, reflecting the Call to Action, is recognising the need to foster interdisciplinarity between youth interested, or beginning their careers, in sectors related to the built environment, such as the technical professions, local government and academia.
Commonwealth Sustainable Energy Transition Youth Action Group (CSET Youth)
The Commonwealth Sustainable Energy Transition Youth Action Group (CSET Youth) sits under the CYSU network.
The key objective of CSET Youth is:
To empower youth of the Commonwealth to support, contribute to, and advocate for sustainable energy transition in the Commonwealth and help to achieve SDG7 measures and targets including electricity access (7.1.1), clean cooking access (7.1.2), renewable energy (7.2) and energy efficiency (7.3) by 2030.
We will achieve this through the following pathways:
- Empowerment, capacity building and mobilisation
- Influence and inclusive representation
- Research, knowledge creation and awareness
- Youth-driven impact
Eligibility to Register
- Are you interested in urbanisation?
- Are you a young professional ? A university researcher, architect, land surveyor, urban planner, engineer, local government technical professional?
- Are you a young city leader in local government ?
- Are you a high school, college or university student?
If the answer is yes to any of those questions, you are eligible…click here to register!
Empower Commonwealth Youth to support, contribute to, and advocate for sustainable urbanisation in the Commonwealth and to look at ways in which cities and human settlements can better reflect the needs of youth.
- Provide an opportunity for young people from across different disciplines/constituencies relating to sustainable urbanisation to come together for networking, education, knowledge sharing and to exchange ideas, tools and learnings.
- Build the capacity of youth, to advocate for sustainable urbanisation, shape the future of, and re-design their environment
- Communicate the importance of youth-friendly and youth-aware sustainable urbanisation
- Proactively collaborate with relevant stakeholders to implement innovative solutions
- Integrate a youth voice into Commonwealth policy and programmes and advocate for strengthened youth leadership and integration into decision making to support sustainable urbanisation
Register Your Interest in The Network
Register your interest in this short online form
The network is further supported by:
- Janine Xavier-Cross, Trinidad & Tobago, Commonwealth Local Government Forum
Outgoing Steering Committee
We would like to share our appreciation of the outgoing Steering Committee members who have contributed to CYSU. We thank them for all their effort and contribution.
1- George Mwanza
2- Amelia Neoh
3- Pulkit Kanotra
4- Sakkeri Ramya
5- Alice Preston
6- Eileen Goh